Thursday, March 20, 2014

.:can you ragout?:.

this is a long overdue post to my ballerina friend... (huge kiss for you, dear!) a whole year this friend asked me to give him the Italian Lasagna (here called "pasticcio" which means mess, so, yeah, don't expect anything pretty... ) recipe... I conceded and promised and delayed... in the end I moved again... back to Italy... and left no recipe...
ingredients

up to now! YAY! can you feel the excitement, sweedie? just for you... let me just get some points clear before beginning;

  1. this is NO rocket science, it is cooking, so don't expect me to go all specific and mathematical... remember, that doesn't usually go all to well for me, the numbers thing... 
  2. the pictures are not great, so try your best to understand, I added labels to help... =)
  3. it is supposed to be to YOUR taste, because it is your food, you know... so taste, try, change, and repeat until you love it to pieces...
  4. it is not hard, but it is made of pieces, so let's go "jackwise" and do it in parts, shall we...
now that everything is cleared out we are good to go...
start by gathering your supplies: 
olive oil (straight from the olives in my brother-in-law's garden, now that's bragging... ^^)
  • olive oil (if you are lucky to have GOOD quality olive oil more power for you)
  • half an onion (before the little lady I would go one onion, but she is not crazy about it, so we changed habit)
  • 800gr of ground meat (I ask for a bovine/swine mix works better for me)
  • some carrots (anywhere from two large sized to six medium ones, today I used all the leftover carrots I had in the fridge)
  • two bottles tomato sauce 
  • two dices (I use meat)
  • some water
  • patience
ok, getting to business... first I get the onions good and chopped(you can use your best appliance friend to help you, I always do, but cry anyway...) drizzle a good 3 spoons of oil in your pan and get your onions all golden... 

get to the carrots and do just the same: chop, stir, cook... together with the onion...

next thing is to add your meat... put it in the mix and keep stirring until it gets mostly uniform, add the dices and stir until the meat starts releasing water... let it cook a bit (about five minutes will do) in medium heat...

get your two bottles of tomato sauce and put it in... stir some more, cover the pan and let it boil for a couple of hours stirring once in a while... see if you like the flavour and adjust it to your liking... when the ragù is ready you can use it to season pasta, eat it with polenta, freeze, or make your "pasticcio"... 
PS.: the ragù is usually better the day after, unlike snow or drinking... so if you have the time and patience prepare it in advance and put it away...

there, the first step to prepare your Italian Lasagna is done... keep up the good work and wait for next Thursday... XOXO
PS 2.: if you want the video let me figure out how to post with password so you can access it... any suggestion/advice is welcome, thanks... ;)



1 comment:

  1. Acho que esse foi o post mais longo e detalhado que já li sobre como fazer um refogado :) Estou curioso com a segunda parte, e adoreia idéia das cenouras no molho XD

    ReplyDelete