Tuesday, April 15, 2014

.:making up:.

no, no fighting... actually I'm talking about make up, the thing that goes on your face... well not really your face if you are a man, and not into it, but still, on some people's face... *way to be eloquent...

so... I don't wear make up very often, let's say once in a blue moon, shall we? and I could exploit some of the very popular excuses for not wearing it... like the "I don't have the time", but putting on make up doesn't take that long... seriously, not even five minutes and you're done... another one would be "I just can't get it right", which for me wouldn't work either... I put on my make on my wedding and was pretty happy about the results, on both wedding days... sure, it took me all of 20 minutes to do it, still, time well spent... the last excuse I can remember is that "it is really bad for your skin", and honestly? so is the sun, and the wind, not to mention how many wrinkles smiling brings, but I couldn't care less...

what comes down to MY reasons for not putting on make up that often... I am essentially a plain jane... and I like it, blending in is a comfortable feeling for me, at least look wise... if you see me around you won't take a second glance, unless you stop to talk to me... and for me that is perfection... I don't want to be spotted when entering a room, or stared at when strolling around... I feel good in my skin, meaning I love being average looking (not pretty, not ugly, not tall, not short, not fat, not thin, do you see where I'm going?) and wouldn't take it any other way...

then, sometimes you want to make a statement... you want to impress, look good, and what is a plain jane to do then? put on make up... and I do it... on special occasions, for special people, for covering up foul mood or sickness... and, amazingly enough, people notice when I choose to go out of my no-makeup ways... it doesn't take much, concealer, eyeliner, lip balm and bang, people compliment me on how good I look... there, done... I feel good, they feel impressed, and eventually the same people who were gladly aware that I too can doll up if I want dish out the tricky question: "why don't you do it everyday?"...

clearly the answer is already implicit there, isn't it? let's change the case scenario... pretend that instead of my clean slate everyday self my co-workers/students/friends always see me with a beautiful fake face on... that would rapidly become common place, they would get used to it, I would get used to it... and being a teacher has a huge drawback: you live outside the classroom... how so? do you know those day offs you have, when you get out of bed at 7 am, brush your teeth, wash your face, pull you hair into a weird ponytail, hastily put on an oversized T-shirt, old sweatpants and your flip-flops expecting to hit the street market so that you can stock up on fruit and vegetables for next week? uhum... if you are a teacher you know where I'm going... THOSE are the days when you meet each and every student you've ever had... again, the thing is, if they are used to see you with your make-up on the first thing that comes to their mind is: "hell, how washed out she looks... is she sick or what?"... yep, and their look would totally give them away, and let me tell you, this wouldn't be the most ego boosting situation in my book...  on the other hand, if people always see you with a clean face it won't make any difference, because you always look that way, they don't expect you to look any different...

besides, I'm not very fond of how I feel with make-up... it gets me uneasy feeling the skin stretch when I smile, and I always get shy around people when I'm wearing make-up, I blush when receiving compliments on my appearance... and honestly, I used to be shy and blush more often than not, but now it is not like that, and I don't miss being that girl... sure, if I made a habit of it, like a morning ritual (showering, brushing teeth, putting on make-up) I would get used to the feeling of it and feeling like myself no matter what, but the day is not today...

today is the day I get to paint myself in beautiful colours to distract the eyes... because this is what I should look like for my on-line student...



and this is how I'm really feeling today...

the flu from last week never really left me, but today it was back with a vengeance... remember the film "you've got mail", when meg ryan has the nasty flu? yep, try that minus the daisies well-wishers, and not at all captivating, because you know, this is real life, not a hollywood movie, but you get the idea... not pretty, neither fun... but let's face it, the worst thing that could happen when you get the flu is to have your daughter catch it from you (which has not happened)... the runner-up? having your 2-year-old daughter NOT catch it (which happened here, and the result? drained mamma)... when all you need is a cup of tea and some rest,  running around (and jumping, and dancing) doesn't sound so appealing... but that is what you get (and by you I really mean me... )

No comments:

Post a Comment